Tracking the progress of tasks and Waterfall projects (Gantt)
With ITM Platform it is possible to report the monitoring and progress of tasks in a project. They will be added to a calculated progress in summary tasks and, if configured, also in the total progress of the project.
Before continuing, we will define two similar but not equal concept:
- Progress (also referred to as percentage completed) of a task, a summary or project, is a percentage that represents the actual progress ratio. Thus, 0% will indicate that it has not been started and, in general, 100% indicates it has been completed. You can mark tasks and projects as completed without reaching 100%.
- Progress report of tasks and projects is a data set that offers more information. The follow-up includes the assessment (configurable values list), a description, the percentage completed (progress), and a progress report date.
The progress value of a task represents its real progress and therefore it is data that the designated person must introduce.
The progress of the task is not given by the actual consumption of estimated hours, because the inverted hours do not necessarily represent the actual progress of the task. For example, you may have estimated 10 hours for the task and complete it in 5h or 15h.
Who can report the progress of a task?
Usually, it is the task manager or the project manager although users with Full Access permission can make changes without necessarily having to be assigned to the project.
Where can you report progress on tasks?
There are three places from which a user can report progress: Timesheet, Task Tracking section, and the Gantt.
It is possible to track in an automated way from another application with the corresponding API method.
Tracking from the timesheet
If the connected user is responsible for the task at the time of reporting, then a “progress” icon will be activated that will allow you to fully track the task.
Tracking from the “Task” tab
The tasks have several sections of information, one of them being “Progress”, where you will see a tracking history as well as the possibility of adding a new one.
Progress Report from Gantt chart
In the Gantt, there is the “% Completed” column that can be modified by the project manager as long as it is in an open state.
When recording, a progress report will automatically be generated for the task. The progress percentages of the summary tasks will be updated, if any, and if the option is checked, you’ll create project progress report with the calculated progress data.
Progress Report section from Gantt chart
In the Progress section of the project, you will see the following indicators:
- % Completed: represents the progress created by the project manager, either manually or automatically.
- % Expected today: represents the progress that the project should have reached today, based on its duration.
- Baseline – % expected: represents the progress you would expect from the active baseline.
In this section you will also find:
- “Add tracking” button, option to report a tracking manually
- “View History” button allows you to access previous tracking reports
- “Description of current status” section shows last trace description
- “Earned Value” button will show you the project’s Earned value analysis
There are other related articles in the Project and Task tracking section.